Banks are at the cornerstone of the economy; they not only provide a safe haven for savings but provide mortgages and other loans and extend credit. The jobs available in the banking industry range from tellers, through marketing staff and managers, to loan officers, auditors, and data processors. Bankers may also specialize; some banks and bankers deal primarily with high-net-worth individuals, investments, or portfolio management.
Upward mobility in the banking industry depends not only on years of experience, but the type of experience and the amount of education in finance, economics, or business, plus designations like Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant. Therefore, your resume must be very specific about your:
- Education: in most cases, you need at least a bachelor’s degree, and in many cases, a master’s degree.
- Certifications and designations: these can include Certified Risk Professional, Chartered Mutual Fund Counselor, and many more; just be careful about becoming over-certified and under-experienced.
- Interactions with others: whether or not you are dealing directly with individuals, customer satisfaction (both individual and corporate) is important to any bank.
- Familiarity with key legislation: for example, the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Act and Dodd-Frank Act.
- Regulatory experience: for example, your participation in compliance or risk assessment committees or your interactions with government agencies such as the Federal Reserve System.
- Professional affiliations: belonging to a professional organization will not only give you credibility; it will also help you network as you search for your next position.
- Ability to handle data: this might include your experience with confidential information, your training as a data analyst or processor, or any other opportunities you had to handle data.
Because the possibilities of employment in the banking industry are so extensive, any list of must-have items for your resume must take into account the exact position you are looking for. However, the above list is a good starting point.
For a resume that assists you in entering or rising in the banking industry, please contact Robin’s Resumes® today.