One thing has become glaringly apparent as a result of the pandemic and aftermath: we need more tradespeople.
Many tradespeople are independent contractors, including electricians, plumbers, roofers, mechanics, and builders. Research by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and others states that between 7 and 9 percent of the entire workforce consists of independent contractors; 77 percent of tradespeople confirm that the labor shortage is getting worse.
While independence has some benefits, such as control over operations, it also has major drawbacks, such as lack of benefits. The sense of control might not be as real as it seems, with demanding clients and uncertainty about payments. For those reasons, many tradespeople end up working for others: for example, a plumber may work for a large plumbing and heating company, electricians or mechanics might work for businesses that need full-time tradespeople on staff, and multiple tradespeople might work for a company that manages facilities.
The resumes for an apprentice, journeyman, foreman, master, and manager will differ, but they do have common characteristics. If you decide to apply for a position as an employee, your resume should show that you have:
- Required training and certifications, including enrollment in a trade school
- Experience, whether as an apprentice, independent contractor, employee, or volunteer
- Knowledge of safety measures, local and industry codes, and regulations that apply to your work
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in your work
- The ability to solve problems
- The ability to handle the physical demands of the work, which may include lifting, bending, and withstanding heat and close spaces.
Those who work in the trades know that remote work is not an option when seeking employment. Therefore, you may need to be vaccinated against COVID, both for your own safety and the safety of those you work with and for. You may want to add your vaccination status to your resume.
Robin’s Resumes® is ready to help tradespeople at every stage of their employment journey with resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and job transition coaching.