According to some researchers, fear is one of the top obstacles to seeking a new job. As a certified coach and resume writer, I have seen how the fear of changing jobs can hold back a career. It prevents individuals from seeking the jobs they deserve. In my nearly 20 years of helping people, I have come to recommend the following strategies for overcoming fear, whatever its source:
- Take a single step forward. That step can be as safe and small as simply reading over your old resume or looking up comparable pay in the job market for someone in your position with your experience. Then your next step may be to prepare for a free consult with Robin’s Resumes®.
- Set aside 10 minutes a day to move forward on your job search. In 10 minutes, you can look online for job openings, read the employment pages of your newspaper, or attach your resume to an email and send it.
- Do the math. A higher-paying job will reimburse you quickly for the expenses of applying for a new position. In 2017, according to ADP, a job switch increased the salary of full-time workers by at least 5.2%; but the salary of workers who stayed put only increased 4.3%. Even a lateral move may offer payback through reduced stress or better benefits.
- Build your support. If nay-sayers surround you, find people who will support you. If your current supervisor does not give you a recommendation, find a previous supervisor, coworker, or client willing to recommend you. Are you networking through industry groups? Have you worked with a job and career transition coach like Robin’s Resumes®?
- Find your balance. You may decide that you are happiest just where you are. No one says you have to change jobs. But you may discover a world out there that is more welcoming, more appreciative, and more suited to your talents than the one you have stuck with.
Visualize your future and see if taking a single step, setting aside 10 minutes, doing the math, and building support are worth the effort of getting there. If it is, contact Robin’s Resumes® and discuss how we can help you achieve your goal.