As the pandemic and winter drag on, you may find that your job search spirit lags. Most people reach a point in their job search when they struggle against a feeling of futility and defeat. They slog their way through the motions without any hope or enthusiasm. Here are five ways to revive yourself when your job search spirit lags:
- Pay attention to your body. Take a brisk walk outside and count your steps, not the number of resumes you sent. Sit down with a cup of coffee or tea far away from your computer, and feel the warmth penetrate your hands; breathe in the fragrance, relax in your chair, and focus on the experience, not on hiring managers and recruiters. Give your job search spirit a boost by letting your body rest.
- Meet people. If you have focused your search online, now is the time to start networking in person. Now is the time to call a friend and schedule lunch, a call, a coffee break, or a walk together.
- Do something rewarding. Volunteer, clear a closet, hang a picture—a little success can boost your job search spirit a great deal, so allow yourself to grab some. You might work toward a certification or take a class that will strengthen your resume even more.
- Give yourself a break. Give yourself a mental break by realizing that searching for a job is hard, especially in current conditions. Listen to music, read a book, visit a museum, or watch a movie. Stay away from the news and turn off your electronics at least 1 hour before bedtime. You will be less stressed, more rested, and more able to cope.
- Get help. Sometimes a job search is stalled because you are so close and wrapped up in it that you do not see the obvious: your resume and LinkedIn profile need updating and up-leveling, your career goals are too low (you are overqualified) or too high (you need more preparation), you are targeting the wrong companies, or you are confused about what you want. A resume writer and career coach like Robin Schlinger at Robin’s Resumes® can help you work through those problems.
Your job search spirit may lag, but you still deserve the job of your dreams. Contact Robin’s Resumes® today to discuss how we can help you.