According to a Robert Half survey, most companies today (78%) expect and prefer traditional resumes, and barely 3% like video resumes. However, if you are in a field where you are often creating or participating in videos, such as teaching, performing, or presenting, then a video resume might help.
You should make sure that:
- The company you send a video resume to does not actively prohibit video resumes. Many recruiters and hiring managers fear video resumes will lead to violations of anti-discrimination laws or associate a company with content showing questionable taste or judgment.
- You grasp the standards, goals, and priorities of the industry, company, and position you want to apply for. No hiring manager or recruiter wants to sit through a video that totally misses the company’s objectives, presented by someone who clearly does not understand the company culture.
- You are willing to spend the money on professional videography. A video resume that jiggles all over the place, has a busy and distracting background, and depends on a poor audio system—a video with any technical problem—will create the opposite effect that you want.
- You have a script. A rambling presentation, irrelevant and unsubstantiated boasting (“I make the impossible happen”), and annoying speech tics (for example, repeating “um” or “like”) will work against you. Write a script and practice, practice, practice. If you need help with the video resume script, reach out to a professional.
- You come across as competent, enthusiastic, and comfortable with yourself and the technology. A video creates an environment that you control (unlike most interview situations) and that feels safe. If you mumble, slouch, and act bored, silly, nervous, distracted, or aggressive under those controlled conditions, people may not care what you have to say.
Until video resumes earn greater acceptance, you may want to stick with print resumes and LinkedIn profiles, which—if well written—will highlight your personality and make your credentials and contributions stand out from other candidates. Robin’s Resumes® has created personalized, professional, standout traditional resumes and LinkedIn profiles for hundreds of job candidates. Contact us today about doing the same for you.